In a world of smartphones, computers, and many other electronic devices and accessories, keeping track of charging cables and their (often unsightly!) wall adaptor companions can be a hassle. A simple solution to this issue is to install USB power outlets, which have USB ports in place of, or alongside, traditional electrical outlets.
With a USB outlet, you can charge your electronic devices and accessories with your regular charging cable without the need for a clunky adaptor. Now more powerful than ever before, USB charger outlets convert 120-volt AC power to 5-volt DC power.
Let’s dive into everything you need to know when deciding to install new USB charging outlets.
Where Should I Have USB Outlets Installed In My Home?
Strategically placed USB outlets can enhance your home’s functionality and make charging your electronic devices more efficient. Consider installing USB outlets in the following places:
- Entryways: Shelves or tables in your entryway are excellent places to put a USB outlet. Here, you can manage smart accessories with your keys, jacket, and other belongings needed for entering and exiting your home. You’ll love leaving home with fully-charged devices!
- Kitchen counters and islands: As one of the most frequented places in the house, USB outlets can be useful in the kitchen. Do you use a tablet for looking up recipes? Or do your kids congregate at the kitchen island for homework time? Then USB outlets could be a game-changer!
- Living room: Floor USB outlets in the middle of the room eliminate the need for additional obstacles like extension cords. You’ll be able to charge your phone, tablet, and more without additional clutter taking away from the room’s visual appeal. Bonus: Long cords pulled halfway across the room will no longer be a tripping hazard!
- Bedrooms: Having a USB outlet by your bed, desk, or even behind a wall-mounted television can be useful for accessories like smart clocks or gaming systems. Do you use your smartphone as an alarm clock? Then you can rest assured knowing it’s fully charged and you won’t miss the wake-up call!
- Bathroom vanities: Having a USB outlet built into your bathroom vanity can be used to support bathroom accessories like electric toothbrushes and electric razors. You can also charge fitness trackers or other wearable devices.
Best USB Outlet Options
There are a few options for USB outlets in your home, and both have unique advantages.
A combination outlet is known for its versatility with two AC receptacle outlets and two vertical USB charging ports. The vertical orientation provides more space for plugging in AC power cords. These outlets typically deliver 3.6 amps of USB charging capability, which is plenty if you’re only planning on charging smaller devices. However, laptops, for example, can require a higher charging capacity. A combination outlet may be a good choice for kitchen spaces in particular, where you may need to plug in multiple kitchen appliances and don’t want to be limited.
This is the obvious choice if you don’t need an AC outlet. A USB-only outlet is a four-port USB charging outlet with no AC receptacle outlets. Each outlet delivers up to 5 amps of charging capacity, which provides efficient charging for all devices, large or small. USB-only outlets are also great for lowering your electricity bill! You can plug in electrical fixtures and devices without drawing more power.
Upgrade Your Outlets!
Whether it’s traditional or USB outlets, if you’re increasing the functionality of your home, the Jason Wright team is here to help! As your home becomes more integrated with technology, additional outlets or USB outlets allow for more convenience.
From the moment we opened our doors in 1995, we’ve been striving to deliver fearless personal service. With our mission constantly in focus, we’ve created a company that is proud of our roll-your-sleeves-up approach to electrical work with personalized care for our customers beyond the project.
From smoke alarms to recessed lighting from outdoor lighting to full electrical panels, if it’s in your Kansas City metro area home and it requires electricity, we are ready to help! As your Electrical Concierge, we help you uncover your residential wiring needs and execute beyond your satisfaction. Contact us today.